An inmate who was allegedly assaulted and sent to hospital has returned to Warkworth Institution, say officials.
The Correctional Service of Canada said the assault occurred last Saturday, Feb. 14 at the medium-security institution and resulted in the injured inmate being evaluated by staff and sent to hospital for treatment. The individual has since returned to Warkworth Institution, officials confirmed in an update.
CSC said the institution and Northumberland OPP continue to investigate and that no staff or other inmates were harmed during the incident.
What’s more, officials said in order to improve practices aimed at preventing these types of incidents, the Correctional Service of Canada said it will review the circumstances of this incident and take appropriate measures.
As previously reported, Northumberland OPP confirmed an investigation was underway after police responded to Warkworth Institution last Saturday around 7 p.m. following a report of an altercation between two inmates where an edged weapon was involved.
Police said that a scenes of crime officer also responded to help with the on-site investigation, which is being spearheaded by OPP’s crime unit.
Police said updates will be issued when more information becomes available.